Back to Basics #1: Posture and Centering Overview
Haven't enrolled yet? Click here before the enrollment period closes for unlimited access!
In traditional Suzuki musical training, a young student's first lesson is on how to bow. In some students, this may be the entire lesson. A student has not mastered this lesson until they can stand feet together and bow to their teacher.
- Finding a correct distance from the piano.
- Finding a bench height that is just right for your body.
- The alignment of the shoulders and hips, and understanding where the load-bearing portion of the spine is.
- Finding a neutral wrist position
- Watching out for the "disconnected" body syndrome. Where the body is held artificially back while the shoulders, and neck are thrust forward towards the piano.
- Sit with your hands gently in your lap in this "seated" position.
- Find your concentrated center and take a deep breath.
- Gently float your hands up to the piano keyboard.